The decision to have bariatric surgery in Atlanta should not be made lightly. While it is often life-saving for many people, it is wise to consider the pros and cons before going through with it.
Laparoscopic and Endoscopic Surgery Institute is committed to providing bariatric surgery candidates in the Atlanta area with the knowledge they need to make an informed decision about the bariatric procedure that best fits their needs.
What is Bariatric Surgery?
When considering getting bariatric surgery in Atlanta, you should fully understand what it is before reviewing the pros of cons. Bariatric surgery is when changes are made to your digestive system to help you lose weight. Surgery is considered when attempts to lose weight with diet and exercise are unsuccessful.
There are several types of bariatric surgeries to consider. Some procedures limit how much you can eat, some procedures reduce the body's ability to absorb nutrients, and some procedures do both. Laparoscopic and Endoscopic Surgery Institute specializes in a variety of these procedures.
What are the Pros of Getting Bariatric Surgery in Atlanta?
The benefits of undergoing bariatric surgery are extensive and often outweigh any of the side effects or risks.
· Rapid Weight Loss - Clinical studies indicate that most patients lose weight rapidly after bariatric surgery and continue to do so for 18-24 months following their procedures. Patients lose 30-50 percent of excess body weight during the first six months after surgery, and 77 percent as soon as 12 months after the surgery.
· Reduce Life-Threatening Risks - Obesity is an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and other life-threatening concerns. Bariatric surgery helps patients get to a healthy weight and out of the obese category. This results in lowered blood pressure, lower cholesterol, and reduces the risk of more serious health concerns including heart attacks, strokes, and respiratory problems.
· Joint Pain Relief - Obesity causes significant strain on your body’s joints. The weight loss resulting from bariatric surgery reduces the likelihood of needing a knee or hip replacement and decreases the risk of osteoarthritis.
· Improved Mental Health and Quality of Life- Studies show that people who are overweight often struggle with mental health issues such as depression, anxiety, and panic disorders. While losing weight isn’t the sole solution to combating mental health struggles associated with obesity, it can provide significant relief. Results from bariatric surgery improve your physical and mental ability to do the things you enjoy, allowing you to be an active participant in your life.
What are the Cons of Bariatric Surgery in Atlanta?
Bariatric surgery has a very high success rate and great potential to positively impact your life. While there are not many significant cons associated with these procedures, they are major surgeries, so there are potential risks and side effects you should be aware of.
· Short-Term Side Effects of Bariatric Surgery
o Mood Shifts
o Abdominal Cramps
· Long-Term Side Effects of Bariatric Surgery
o Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
o Dumping Syndrome, which can cause nausea, diarrhea, or vomiting
o Bowel Obstruction
If you have any specific concerns about these risks, the physicians and team at Laparoscopic and Endoscopic Surgery Institute can help answer questions and provide you with additional information about bariatric surgery.
Is it Possible to Regain Weight After Bariatric Surgery?
It is possible to regain weight after bariatric surgery if you engage in unhealthy eating habits. If your body stops giving you warning signs, such as dumping syndrome, you may be tempted to fall back into old eating habits. As a result, you must continue eating a healthy and balanced diet after getting bariatric surgery in Atlanta.
Is Bariatric Surgery in Atlanta the Right Option for Me?
Choosing the right bariatric procedure could change your life and help you lose weight for good. If you are in the Atlanta area and would like more information about the bariatric surgeries offered at Laparoscopic and Endoscopic Surgery Institute, contact us today to schedule a consultation.