Losing excess weight can be a challenge, and some interventions such as exercise and dieting may not work for everyone. Fortunately, numerous effective options exist, including Orbera® gastric balloon surgery, that can help you fight obesity and protect you from weight-related complications such as cardiovascular illnesses. Read on to find out more about Orbera gastric balloon surgery, who can get it, and its benefits compared to other weight loss options.
What Is Orbera Gastric Balloon Surgery?
Orbera gastric surgery is an FDA-approved weight loss surgery that uses a saline-filled balloon that helps you lose weight by reducing your food intake. During the procedure, your doctor inserts a soft balloon inside your stomach using a thin tube via your throat. Your doctor then fills the balloon with a saline solution to inflate it to the size of grapefruit. Since the balloon occupies a third of your stomach, you become satisfied with smaller food portions.
The balloon stays in your stomach for six months as you engage in a medically supervised diet program, counseling, and exercise. Once the six months are over, your doctor removes the balloon, although you have to continue counseling for six more months. Note that the procedure only takes half an hour, and you can go home within two hours after device placement.
Who is Eligible for Orbera Surgery?
Orbera gastric balloon surgery is ideal for patients with a BMI of between 30 and 40. You should also be ready to participate in a medically supervised diet and exercise program as they are necessary for your health and long-term results. Note that you may not qualify for the weight loss surgery if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or planning to get pregnant in the next six months. It is also not advisable for patients who have undergone bariatric or esophageal surgery in the past.
Medical conditions such as gastrointestinal tract inflammation, hiatal hernia, or bleeding of the upper gastrointestinal tract may also render you ineligible for the procedure. Fortunately, your doctor will first conduct an in-depth evaluation to establish your suitability before the treatment.
The Benefits of Orbera Gastric Balloon Surgery
Orbera gastric balloon surgery is one of the best weight loss treatments for the following reasons:
- It is temporary and reversible. You stay with the balloon in your stomach for six months, after which you can remove it. Since it is removable, you don’t have to live with it your entire life.
- No stitches or scars. Since it is non-surgical, you don’t have to deal with needles, stitches, or imperfections after the procedure.
- It is highly effective. With an Orbera gastric balloon, you can lose weight up to three times more than weight loss from exercise and dieting.
- You begin seeing results after three months. You can start noticing results in the first three months of using the device. However, the balloon stays in your stomach for six months to help you learn your ideal food portions and facilitate long-term weight loss.
- No diet restrictions. You don’t have to limit yourself from eating certain foods when using the balloon. The only dietary change you may need to make is sticking to the recommended dieting program.
While Orbera gastric balloon surgery is highly efficient, you need a skilled and experienced doctor to ensure a successful weight loss surgery. If you are struggling with obesity, Laparoscopic & Endoscopic Surgery Institute, PC, offers Orbera gastric balloon surgery to help you attain your weight goals and live a healthier life. Contact us today for reliable weight loss solutions.
- August 2023
- July 2023
- June 2023
- November 2022
- October 2022
- September 2022
- August 2022
- March 2022
- October 2021
- August 2021
- July 2021
- June 2021
- May 2021
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- December 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- April 2020
- February 2020
- December 2019
- October 2019
- June 2019